The primary purpose of the CRFID Distinguished Lecturer Program is to provide interesting and informative lectures to serve the needs of member societies and councils and to enhance their professional vitality by keeping them informed of new technological developments and applications in the theory and applications of RFID. The CRFID Distinguished Lecturer Program does not support speakers for conference/symposium/workshop or university seminars. CRFID has agreed to a cost sharing plan that may be used by IEEE host organization, e.g., IEEE chapters and councils, sections, and student groups. IEEE student groups are especially encouraged to make use of the Program to invite outstanding speakers. Distinguished lecturers receive no honorarium.
Procedures for Requesting a DL Visit
- Submit a proposal to the DL Chair, Jorge Fernandes, at least four weeks before the proposed visit. Include the following items:
– Name of distinguished lecturer and topic of presentation
– Date and venue
– Expected impact
– Estimated attendance
– Amount of desired travel support requested for non-local travel expenses
– Amount of local support to be provided by the IEEE host entity
Travel subsidy for the DL may be provided to a maximum amount of $800 USD if the one-way non-stop travel time is within 6 hours and a maximum amount of $1600 USD if one-way non-stop travel time is more than 6 hours.
- The proposal is evaluated based on the above items and the the Distinguished Lecturers program budget.. There is no guarantee that funds will be available to support the request, so it is strongly advised to submit the proposal early.
- If the proposal is approved, CRFID will contact the distinguished lecturer to finalize the arrangements. The lecture should be open to all members of IEEE. The host organization is expected to publicize the event via electronic media.
Procedures for Expense Reimbursement
- Within three months after the DL Visit, a request for reimbursement of expenses (if appropriate) should be submitted by the host organization to the CRFID Secretary/Treasurer.
- The distinguished lecturer submits an IEEE expense reimbursement form and scanned receipts to the CRFID Secretary/Treasurer and the CRFID Business Analyst, TJ Compton.