It is difficult to believe that we are already at the beginning of fall. We have an exciting list of conferences that CRFID is sponsoring for 2017 and 2018. In addition, we are excited about the formation of the IoT Technical committee this year. The Internet of Things (IoT) is an emerging topic of technical, social, and economic significance. The projections for the impact of IoT on the Internet and economy have as many as 100 billion connected IoT devices and a global economic impact of more than $11 trillion by 2025. The challenges and opportunities include business models to focus on security, privacy, and technical interoperability. Technical challenges remain in sensing, computing, security and privacy, and new policy, legal and development challenges are emerging. CRFID is well suited to contribute and lead some of the IoT areas, in particular the bridging of the digital world with actionable data. The vision for this group is to:
- Provide a forum and dissemination mechanism for the interplay between RFID and IoT
- Maintain CRFID’s leadership position in the research of radio frequency identification in the era of Internet of Things
- Providing strategic support to CRFID members active in studying the latest technical developments
- RFID and security and reliability, circuits, signal processing, standards, cyber-physical and internet of things
- Serving as a link between members of the TC-IoT and other technical committees within the IEEE CRFID and IEEE IoT
- Leading figure of Global RFID as it links to IoT education
Please take time to look at the upcoming conferences and reach out to the general chairs to get involved. We will also be announcing other technical committees in the near future.